Sunday, February 7, 2016

PC Corned beef #2

1st Pressure Cooker recipe and 2nd new recipe of the year!
Santa brought me the Pressure Cooker XL 6 Qt for Christmas!!! I went to the library's web site but all of the books were on HOLD. Everyone must have gotten one of these bad boys for Christmas! I then turned to Uncle Google and found quite a few recipes to try. Q was home from school so he got to be here for the maiden voyage of Pressure Cooking.

I knew I wanted Corned Beef to be one of the 1st meals since Q was home. After scouring the internet I came across the recipe HERE. There were other tips and tricks of the bloggers trial and error of corned beefery.




Ingredients
  • 3 pound corned beef with its spice packet
  • 1 medium onion, quartered
  • 1 stalk celery, quartered crosswise
  • Water to cover (about 4 cups)
Vegetables
  • 1½ pounds redskin new potatoes
  • 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths (or a 1 pound bag of baby carrots)
  • 1 small (3 pound) cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
Directions
  1. Cook the corned beef: Rinse the corned beef. Put the corned beef, onion, and celery in the pressure cooker pot, sprinkle with the spice packet, then pour in enough water to cover the corned beef. Bring the pressure cooker up to high pressure and cook at high pressure for 80 minutes (stove top PC) or 90 minutes (electric PC). Quick release the pressure, then carefully remove the lid. Test the corned beef with a fork - it should be easy to poke a fork through the thickest section. If it's not done, lock the lid and cook for another ten minutes at high pressure. Once the corned beef is done, move it to a platter, leaving the onion and celery behind in the pressure cooker.
  2. Cook the vegetables: Add the potatoes to the pot, then the carrots on top of them, then lay the cabbage on top of the other vegetables. It's OK if the cabbage comes a bit above the "no fill" line on your cooker; there will still be a lot of airspace. Bring the cooker back up to pressure and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure again. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the platter with the corned beef.
  3. Serving: Pour the broth left in the pot into a gravy strainer. While the broth settles, slice the corned beef. Pour a little of the de-fatted broth over the platter of corned beef and vegetables. Serve, passing the rest of the broth at the table.

Now onto what I did. I pretty much did the same thing as the recipe stated. I rinsed the roast since I was concerned it would be too salty (which I never normally do). I used no onion, cabbage or celery- I just used the corned beef in water. Next time I would cut the corned beef in half. I cooked as it stated, about 90 minutes. We quick released and corned beef juice went all over! haha. Next time I will release naturally. After it cooked- I took it out and put it in the oven on low to keep it warm while the potatoes and carrots cooked- only took 7 minutes, if even.

Overall we called this a success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment