Monday, February 15, 2016

New Recipe #6 Cheddar Cauliflower & Bacon soup

I usually take soups for my lunches at work and when I read a blog post about this soup I knew I had to try it.
I found this post on the ButterYum Blog 2/2015. She is forever cooking up something good.
I don't typically eat cauliflower but thought if I puree it with my immersion blender I might be ok. Cauliflower does not smell pleasant- but once I got past the 1st spoonful of the bowl it was really tasty. I did things different from the original recipe, of course.



Ingredients
  • 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
  • 1/2 cup minced carrot
  • 1/2 cup minced celery
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha (or other hot sauce), optional
  • Garnish:  8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled 
Directions
  1. In a 6-quart stockpot over medium-high heat, combine cauliflower, carrots, celery, and chicken stock.
  2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook for 15-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
  3. In the meantime, melt butter in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high.
  4. Add flour, salt, and pepper; whisk for 2 minutes.
  5. Add milk; whisk constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens.
  6. Remove from heat and add shredded cheese; whisk until melted.
  7. Pour cheese mixture over the cauliflower mixture.
  8. Stir in Sriracha; serve with crumbled bacon.  Makes 4-6 servings.

I used all of the vegetables: 
Cauliflower was a baby- maybe the size of a soft ball= 2.5 cups
1 Cup carrots and 1/2 cup celery. I also added 2 potatoes.
I used Chicken stock not Veg. 1.5 cups of Milk and no hot stuff for me thanx.

I think next time I want to use equal parts Cauliflower and Carrots, drop the potato (and maybe celery too) & see if I can make the roux using less milk & more broth. I am only making it for the cheese sauce not necessarily to thicken it up- mashing the veggies thickens it up plenty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment