Saturday, February 14, 2015

Goulash-Style Stew, with recipe


I have about a zillion recipes I want to try so I thought I better get cracking. I resorted them, filed them and picked out a few that I put on the Make this Month list. Today's new recipe is Goulash Stew. 



1
2

3





Goulash Style Stew, Penzey's Spices Magazine

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Penzy's Onion Powder (or you can use a real onion)
  • 1/4 Cup shortening
  • -------------------------------------------------------------
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 Cups water
  • 3/4 Cup ketchup
  • 2 TB. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 TB. brown sugar
  • 1-2 tsp. salt
  • 1 TB. HUNGARIAN-STYLE SWEET PAPRIKA
  • 1/2 tsp. REGULAR MUSTARD POWDER
  • Dash CAYENNE PEPPER
  • -------------------------------------------------------------
  • 1/4 Cup cold water
  • 2 TB. flour

Directions

In a stock pot the shortening over medium-high heat. Add the beef and onions and cook until browned, 7-10 minutes. Drain off any fat. Stir in the remaining ingredients through the SEASONINGS. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the beef is tender, about 2-2 1/2 hours. Combine the water and flour, mix until no flour lumps. Drizzle into the stock pot. Bring to a boil and keep stirring until thickened. Cook for 1 minute. Serve over freshly cooked noodles.

My Notes: This was good, a little sweet for Hubby. I would Omit the Brown Sugar next time. Q thought it tastes like Teriyaki. 

No comments:

Post a Comment