Saturday, October 17, 2015

Trick or Treat Turnovers AKA Pumpkin Heads!, with recipe


Happy (early) Halloween!!
I made the annual pumpkin heads early this year since Q was home from school and didn't know if he would be back before Halloween. Looking through my posts I don't see that I posted about these in 2014...but I find that unlikely- maybe it's under a different blog title. Or I made them and kept them a secret from all of you! ;)

Pumpkin Heads of Years Past

This is so easy- especially if you make the meat mixture in advance. Then all you are doing is rolling out the biscuits & baking. Great for a portable lunch or supper.
I always make too much meat mix- I just serve that on the side. 


He said some of them looked like Michael Myers this year from the Halloween Movies.

Q's pumpkin head...

The original recipe comes from taste of home magazine: HERE

The real recipe:

Ingredients



Directions

  1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add cheese and mustard; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Cool slightly.
  2. Flatten each biscuit into a 4-in. circle; place four biscuits in each of two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of meat mixture onto each.
  3. Using a sharp knife or cookie cutters, cut out jack-o'-lantern faces from remaining biscuit circles; place over meat mixture and pinch edges to seal tightly. Reroll scraps if desired and cut out stems for pumpkins.
  4. Brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.

MY version


Fry some meat, season to taste. 
I used Salt, onion and garlic powder, powdered mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Use whatever you like to season it. You could probably use ground Turkey or Chicken if that's your thang. 

Once the meat cooks up a bit, add the carrots and minced garlic.
Once there is no more pink add your cheese and mustard.

I can't say I have measurements really...
This year:
I used 1.5 lbs beef, I shredded carrots on my box grater, maybe a tablespoon of minced garlic, sprinkled the seasoning then a handful of cheese- adjust to however you like to flavor your meat =)
You can probably even use a taco seasoning mix if the mood strikes.

Buy some jumbo refrigerated biscuits.
I rolled them out so they were 5-6 inches in diameter.
Spoon about 1/2 cup of meat then add the top rolled out biscuit.
I cut pumpkin faces out for mine.

Bake on a greased pan (I lined mine with parchment for easy cleanup) 
@ 350* for 20 mins

Make some for Halloween this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment