Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Penzey's Spicy Hot Chicken Soup, with recipe

Spicy Hot Chicken Soup


I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time now. I found it in Penzey's Catalog well over a year ago. Spicy isn't normally my thing, but I couldn't resist. I modified it...of course. As Mrs George would say- I used the recipe as inspiration...haha. Q ate this up like it was his job. Which is good because he had been under the weather and he is not normally a soup eater unless Ramen is in the name. I also enjoyed it- I couldn't eat a TON like I wanted to because of the Cayenne. 





The actual recipe is below....but for starters I used a can of chicken breast from Sam's Club and no real onions were hurt during the making of this soup. I cut the recipe in half and instead of water & soup base- I used a box of chicken stock. 


Ingredients

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 medium onions, minced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (start with the smaller amount-you can add more later)
  • 1 tsp. powdered ginger
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
  • 1 lb. thin egg noodles
  • 2 green onions
  • Directions

    Heat the oil over medium high heat, and when it is hot add the chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the onion and garlic. When everything starts to brown up (about 5 minutes) add the cayenne pepper and ginger. Stir constantly for about a minute, then add the water and chicken soup base. Let everything come to a slow boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add in the egg noodles and cook until the noodles are soft (probably 5 minutes or so-see package directions on noodles).

No comments:

Post a Comment