Friday, December 7, 2012

Pumpkin Seeds & Chicken Stock with recipes

What a combination for a blog post title =)


I only like pumpkin seeds when I make them, not from a package.
I took them out of the pumpkin, cleaned them up and soaked them overnight in salt water.
I spread them out on a small cookie sheet I had sprayed with cooking spray.
I added more salt then stirred them on the sheet.
Baked at 325* for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Bake until desired crispiness.




My first adventure in Chicken Stock.
We don't eat the dark meat when we get a roasted chicken from Sam's Club
so I left the dark meat on the carcass and made stock.

I cut up Carrots, Celery and Onion, placed them in my pot.
Added the chicken carcass and covered it all with cold water until submerged.
I also added a few Bay Leaves, and some salt and pepper. But you can use whatever you want.
Bring to a boil, then drop to a simmer.
Simmer for 4 hours at minimum, or more if you have time.
Taste it as you go. 

Then drain using a fine mesh strainer and toss the pieces parts.

Here's your finished stock =) 
It looked kinda gelatinous but I was told that's normal...
it wasn't thick as the gelatinousness might suggest. 

I then added this finished stock to a pot, 
added fresh veg and a chicken boullion cube and had chicken soup =)


No comments:

Post a Comment