Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sunday part 2 with Pierogi Recipe


Because I totally didn't have enough fun making Gnocchi, I thought I would make pierogi's too.
I used Michael Symon's Dough Recipe from The Chew
and a Food Network Recipe for the Cheese Filling.
I didn't take as many pics as I should have.



Ricotta Cheese Filling:
1 cup ricotta cheese, well drained  <------ THEY REALLY MEAN THIS DO NOT SKIP IT
1 egg
Salt and pepper
In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. Chill in the refrigerator a few minutes to firm up the filling.






I should have drained my Ricotta more.




  • Pierogi Dough:
  • 1 Egg
  • 3/4 cup Sour Cream
  • 8 tablespoon Unsalted Butter (softened)
  • 1 tablespoon Fresh Chives (chopped)
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for rolling dough)

  • Make the Pierogi Dough: To make the dough, work the egg, sour cream, butter (8 tablespoons), chives, and salt together by hand to form a dough. Don't worry if the mixture is not uniform and, as with pie dough, don't overwork it. Add flour and mix thoroughly with your hands until a dough forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.








Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 1/8-inch thickness and cut it into 3-inch rounds. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of filling onto each round, being careful not to overstuff. Fold the dough over into half-moons and press the edges with a fork to seal them.

I used a Dough Press and it didn't work as well as I wanted it too.
This is also where you will see what happens if you don't drain the ricotta enough...
I had to toss a few perogi's.....
As you make them I suggest putting them straight in the Refrigerator until you are ready to make them


Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Add the pierogi and cook until they float, then cook for 4 minutes once they have begun to float. Drain well in a colander. After this you can also fry them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment