Saturday, April 22, 2017

PC Mac and Cheese #5, #1 PC recipe

This is the first new Pressure Cooker recipe of 2017 I tried. We happened to be watching the infomercial for the Pressure Cooker XL (the one we own) and we watched them make Mac and Cheese in it. So I promptly went out and bought the ingredients. I believe I made this 2/15/17. 


It's a combination of 2 recipes.
This old gal blog is the main recipe and this blog
The main thing I took from the other blog was I used chicken stock vs water.


While I was prepping and cooking the mac and cheese, I put some bacon and chicken in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes to add protein to the dish.

There is a topping recipe on the blog that I did not use.

Ingredients
Macaroni and Cheese
  • 1 pound Cavatappi (or other Pasta)
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground Mustard Seed
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt (or 1 teaspoon Sea Salt)
  • 4 cups Fresh Water
  • 12 oz Evaporated Milk (Heavy Cream, Sour Cream or Homemade Greek Yogurt
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups Cheddar Cheese (Sharp, Mild or Extra Sharp
  • 1 cup Oaxaca Cheese (Monterey Jack, Gruyère, Smoked Gouda, or combination of melting cheese)

Instructions
  1. Add pasta, butter, mustard, hot pepper sauce, salt and water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot.
  2. Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.
  3. Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes.
  4. When Beep is heard, allow a 5 minute Natural Pressure Release and then carefully do a Quick Release.
  5. Open lid and stir in the the heavy cream or evaporated milk.
  6. Turn off Pressure Cooker and then select Saute or Browning and mix in the cheese in three parts, mixing well before adding more. When desired thickness is achieved, turn off Pressure Cooker.

amount of cheese is a personal preference, so start with the lower amount and add more, until desired amount is achieved.
Use any of your favorite kinds of cheese and be creative.
Any pasta shells will work. Rule of thumb is to cook pasta for 1/2 the lesser cook time stated on package and then subtract 2 minutes

My Notes: I didn't add hot sauce and we used a colby jack and mozzarella. After tasting hubby suggested adding some velveeta.  I think I used the heavy cream as well. The pasta was cooked perfect- I really thought that it would be not enough but the 5 minute natural release must help after the only 3 minutes of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment